Monday 18 February 2008

More Poems by Debra Dando

Wasted Day

Well, should I stay or should I go?
How could they have forgotten!
I played my part, I stayed at home -
How could they be so rotten?
They promised faithfully they would come -
Choices made, down-payment done.
Why not complete their obligation?
Why me and not some other patron?
All day inside with clock I've waited,
Hound at heel to be placated
And really now, 'tis way past four -
No ring of bell or knock at door.
Well, wasted hours no more I'll spend!
Outside with dog and crook I wend.
Through dappled sunshine under trees,
Warming the senses with such ease -
Freedom in the calming breeze.
Up top we go and back once more -
What's that I spy pushed through the door?
How could they infuriate me more?
"Will re-try tomorrow twixt ten and four"!

********************************

Visitors to My Lane

The riding school trots down the lane -
Later they'll trot back again.
Riders oblivious to the rain,
Horses trotting in a train.

Cyclists just don't want to stop
Until they reach the very top -
Then, goals achieved, with empty bottle
Back down again they come full throttle.

Hikers with their maps walk by
New trendy poles - far too high -
Walking shoes all new and clean -
Local pub - that's where they've been!

School children on their forest walk,
Teachers with their nature talk.
On return the children chatter,
Tutors then just listen, shattered.

Good humoured people in the main -
Some stop to pass the time of day
Before continuing on their way
But I am lucky; I can stay.

For when tranquility surrounds,
Pheasants, squirrels and deer abound
And, in the darkness, owls call out
Whilst nocturnal creatures scurry about.

***************************

Peace Offering

After all these years,
Is it possible to forget the tears,
And start again -
Forgetting past pain?
Let us try.
So much time has gone by
Decades missed together -
Let us never say
We did not try.

No comments: